• Welcome!

    Inaugurated on July 25, 2014 in Tomar, Cafeteria of the Castle is located in Terreiro Dom Gualdim Parents, near the Convent of Christ. The facilities were built during the rehabilitation of the surrounding area of the convent and now constitute a grant to the City Hall.

     

     

    • Follow us

    We have for you...

    It offers private parking and a terrace that provides a remarkable view over the city. This space aims to support many Portuguese and foreigners that come to visit the Convent of Christ and the city, being a point of information and promotion of Tomar through partnerships with Loja do Mundo Conventual / World Wide Conventual Shop (ADIRN) and Caminhos da História / Paths of History. In the Cafeteria of the Castle, the visitor can find not only the expected products, such as salads, snacks, pastry and drinks, but also the traditional products of the region. Available to customers, regarding the Loja do Mundo Conventual / World Wide Conventual Shop, are local wines, conventual pastry and liquors, and even handicrafts related to the city and the Templars, By Caminhos da História / Paths of History, the visitor can schedule a guided visit. The Cafeteria aims to provide an unique experience! Opens every day from 9 a.m. to 24 p.m.

  • Castle of Tomar

    Gualdim Pais, Master of the Knights Templar, began the construction of this castle on March 1160, as it became the military headquarters of the Order firstly, from its foundation until 1314 and finally of the Order of Christ from 1357.

     

     

    • Follow us

    History...

    The donjon and the octagonal rotunda, a Romanesque sanctuary built in the late twelfth century, is part of the castle. Farther, this Castle has three walled enclosures. In the interior took place the living quarters for the Knights Templar to the north, the parade ground or interior courtyard and the area once occupied by the residents of the fortified town to the south. This military complex had an entrance to the village to the south, the Al Medina gate, which is adorned by two fortified towers. Through this gate, the interior courtyard and the Knights Templar's military headquarters could be accessed along an old stone paved path. The remarkable innovation, regarding defense, comes with the construction of ‘alambores’ which line and reinforce wall. Between the citadel and the rotunda, in the place where in the fifteenth century was the Infant Palace, there are traces of Moorish occupation. The main attractions of the Convent of Christ are the Main Portal, the Rotunda, the Window of the Chapter and the Cloister of John III, which their architectural excellence reflect the consolidation of Portugal and its expansion worldwide, serving Christ. This set has been classified as a UNESCO World Heritage in 1983. Its area rounds 54,000 m2, which corresponds to an average area of a medieval town. Therefore, it is the greatest Portuguese and one of the largest in the world. The City The area that is nowadays Tomar was conquered to the Moors by King Afonso Henriques in 1147 and donated to the Order of the Temple in 1159. Therefore, it became the headquarters of the Order of the Temple and later on, of the Christ. The town was founded by D. Gualdim Pais in 1160, who issued a Feudal Charter in 1162. The area was inhabited for over 30,000 years due to its favorable climate and water abundance and it was then named as ‘Sellium’ following Roman occupation. At the beginning of the seventh century the first convents appeared alongside the legend of Santa Iria, martyr and patron saint of the city. Following the Arab invasion in 712, the city was renamed ‘Tamarama’ word on the origin of the current name and that meant ‘freshwaters’. The construction of the Castle in 1160 by D. Gualdim Pais, Master of the Knights Templar, arises Thomar. In the century XIV, Henrique The Navegator as the Grand Master of the Order of Christ, developed the Village, while it assumed the octagonal organization that characterizes it even nowadays. King Manuel granted the town with the New Charter in 1510, establishing an administrative structure, while its architects João de Castilho, Diogo de Arruda, Diogo de Torralva, among others, stood out by the excellence of their work. During the Spanish Philippine reign in Portugal, the Spanish kings performed improvements in the Main Cloister of the Convent, hired the Italian Filipe Terzi for the construction of the Aqueduct of the Convent and established the feast of Santa Iria. Between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries there was a strong industrial development, particularly related to the glass production, wiring and fabrics and the appearance of paper factories. Tomar was elevated to Town in 1844, during Queen Mary II reign. Cinema emerged in 1901, six years after its invention, and today it is installed in the building Cinema Paradise. Manuel Mendes Godinho, promoted a remarkable growth in the early twentieth century under the milling industry, ceramics and oil extraction from chipboard wood. The development allowed the creation of a banking house and the distribution of energy from Mills Village, its property.

  • Galeria de Fotos


    • Enjoy with us one of the most beautiful places in the world! Take part of history! We have new flavors of our region for you!


    • Enjoy with us one of the most beautiful places in the world! Take part of history! We have new flavors of our region for you!


    • Enjoy with us one of the most beautiful places in the world! Take part of history! We have new flavors of our region for you!


    • Enjoy with us one of the most beautiful places in the world! Take part of history! We have new flavors of our region for you! .


    • Enjoy with us one of the most beautiful places in the world! Take part of history! We have new flavors of our region for you!


    • Enjoy with us one of the most beautiful places in the world! Take part of history! We have new flavors of our region for you!


    • Enjoy with us one of the most beautiful places in the world! Take part of history! We have new flavors of our region for you!


    • Enjoy with us one of the most beautiful places in the world! Take part of history! We have new flavors of our region for you!

  • Clients

    Jason Blunt
    CEO

    At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est lorem ipsum.

    Consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum tet clita kasd gubergren.

    Read More

    Jessy Williams
    Artist

    Consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat.

    At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum tet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadip accusam aliquyam diam diam dolore dolores.

    Read More
  • Contact us!

    Message Sent
    .
    Name:
    Email:
    Phone:
    Message:

    Contacts

    Terreiro D. Gualdim 2300-322 Tomar
    Phone: +351 914 549 258
    E-mail: nascimento@cafetariadocastelo.pt
  • Festa dos Tabuleiros

    Festa
    A festa dos tabuleiros é uma festa realizada de 4 em 4 anos no principio do mês de Julho. É uma das manifestações mais antigas de Portugal e a sua origem encontra-se nas festas de colheita à deusa Ceres. A sua cristianização pode dever-se à Rainha Santa Isabel, tendo por base a Congregação do Espírito Santo. No Domingo de Pentecostes, juntavam-se ricos e pobres sem distinção, dia em que as línguas de fogo desceram sobre os Apóstolos simbolizando a igualdade de todos perante Deus. Esta festa manteve as suas características até ao século XVII. As mudanças feitas a partir daí permitiram uma maior grandiosidade à Festa. A tradição continua e as suas cerimónias permanecem: o Cortejo das chegadas dos Bois de nome Cortejo do Mordomo, o Cortejo dos Tabuleiros, a sua bênção, a forma do tabuleiro, os vestidos das raparigas que transportam os Tabuleiros e a Pêza ou distribuição do pão e da carne. A principal característica desta Festa é o Desfile ou Procissão onde desfilam inúmeros tabuleiros que representam as dezasseis freguesias do concelho. Percorre as principais ruas da cidade, num percurso de 5 km. As ruas enfeitam-se de colchas pendentes nas janelas, onde se encontram milhares de visitantes e são lançadas pétalas, entusiasticamente, sobre o Cortejo. O Tabuleiro deve ter a altura da rapariga que o leva à cabeça, sendo constituído por trinta pães enfiados em cinco ou seis canas que partem de um cesto de vime ou verga e é rematado ao alto por uma coroa encimada pela Pomba do Espírito Santo ou pela Cruz de Cristo. Tabuleiros decorados com flores, pão e espigas de trigo desfilam pelas ruas de Tomar.

© 2014 Cafetaria do Castelo | Design by Orange Ideias Criativas | Fotografia :: Carlos Silva